Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Favorite Fitness DVDs

3 Years later, linking this up with Kenzie & Angie for the September 12 X 30. We have been focusing on getting back into a workout routine in August, so I think that it's great to follow up with focusing on this linkup in September. Thanks for hosting ladies. :) 

Working out is important, but a lot of us are limited in our workout options based on budget, time and even climate.

 Fitness DVDs can be a nice alternative to a pricey gym/class membership, offer an effective and diverse workout and be done despite the temperature.

These are some of my favorite workout DVDs in various categories. I have left a brief review of each along with notes or comments about space and/or equipment needed. 

Yoga:

A.M. & P.M. Yoga with Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden


This was my very first yoga DVD. I love it because it is really easy to follow and good for days when you don't want a workout that feels too intense. 

The A.M. yoga routine is really gentle and helps you wake up in the morning. The subtle stretches are just what I need when I am really tired. Or when my muscles are recovering from a more intense workout.

The P.M. routine is more active than the A.M. routine by quite a bit, but it is pretty slow paced. It allows you to move around in the poses as a beginner and become more comfortable with yoga.

As someone who has been practicing yoga for a while, both in classes and on DVD, I still find this DVD a good workout. It may not be high energy or intensity, but it definitely stretches the right areas. I still see results when using it.

Note: You will want a yoga or Pilates strap, yoga mat strap or a belt for the A.M. routine.

15 Minute Results Yoga with Rodney Yee and Mariel Hemingway


This is probably my go-to favorite for yoga. It has 4 different workout routines which is really good for the price of the DVD. In general this workout is more fast paced and active than the A.M./P.M. DVD. While fast at first the routines on this DVD are very repetitive so that it becomes very easy to follow along with.

Each routine is only 15 minutes long so it is easy to fit in to any part of the day. It is also broken down into routines based on the part of the body you want to work on. For example: upper body, lower body, abdominals and total body.

Because of the quick paced routines and connection between different parts of the body as you do these movements, this DVD really helps to tone target areas in a short period of time, which is great.

Cardio:

Kristi Yamaguchi: Power Workout


I have loved Kristi Yamaguchi since I was a little girl. So when I wanted to break out of the yoga only workout arena I was all for trying out her DVD. I am so glad that I did! 

This workout is fast paced, fun and really effective. It is easy to get into the rhythm of the moves after having done the routines a few times. I am not normally someone who would even try a workout like this... but it ended up being really great!

Note: You need a bit of floor space for this one, more so than yoga. You will also want to purchase/have on hand some hand weights. I have some 3 lb and some 5 lb ones that work well. They were inexpensive and easy to find at Target.

Bellydance:

Dolphina's Goddess Workout (3 DVD set)


I had taken several bellydance classes at the rec center on campus but I had never tried a DVD and was a bit skeptical about picking out something that was fun, but not too eccentric. I got lucky on the first try because I love these DVDs!

So far I have only tried the beginner disk. It is nice because it is broken up into segments where you learn different types of moves that you put together into a mini routine at the end. It also includes a warm up and a cool down. 

Dolphina includes some background on the history of bellydance and some of the mythological information that goes along with it. This is interesting but put into the dialogue as you are practicing the  movements, so you don't become bored. 

Dolphina is also really focused on helping women of every kind feel confident. Which is really great. She's a really encouraging instructor. At times she says funny things that make me laugh, but I always have a good time!

Bellydance starts out a little difficult for most people, mostly because you are learning to move your body in completely new ways. So it takes some practice to get certain moves, but the instruction on these DVDs is really great. A bonus with this is that it typically tones and targets those hard to get areas! Its a really subtle workout because its so fun, but you really see results!

I would highly recommend purchasing a bellydance skirt/scarf if you are able. While not necessary, it makes it more fun if you jingle as you dance! You don't have to go all out if you don't want to, I just throw mine over my yoga pants!

Note: You can buy these DVDs individually rather than as a package if you prefer.

So there you have it! 

My favorite workout DVDs. I might review more yoga DVDs later as I tend to mix and match all of them. I am not a big fan of doing the same thing all of the time.

One thing that I am still looking for? A great non-bellydance dance DVD. Its so hard to know what is going to be good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

What is your favorite workout DVD?

All for now,

Alexandra 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO