Monday, January 30, 2012

National Pie Day 2012 Pie/Recipe #8

January 23rd was National Pie Day.

This year I wanted to try something brand new. {I love my Heart's Desire Cherry Pie and Cranberry Apple Pies but I wanted to add another favorite to our recipe box!}
I was having trouble deciding what kind of pie to make though. I finally asked Kyle "Do you like banana cream pie?" He said "I've never had it." To which I exclaimed, "Really?!? I have to make it then!" 

I am SO glad I did. 

For one, it was my first cream pie. 

and two, Kyle LOVED it. :) We had a piece each and then split one the first night. Then every night after that we each had one until there was only one left and Kyle finished it for breakfast the next morning! :)
So, here is the recipe!

Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie

{Borrowed and Enjoyed from: Easy as Pie by: Benjamin Darling, A really cute book!!}

Ingredients:

1/2 recipe pie crust {baked blind, I will explain!}
OR
1 crumb crust

1/2 cup sugar
5 T flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks {slightly beaten}
1 T butter 
3 ripe bananas

Blind Baking:

1) Make 1/2 my double crust pastry or all and freeze half for another pie later!
2)Roll out dough and press into 9-inch pie pan.
3) Dock {prick a few holes} in the crust. OR fill with pie weights {but who really has pie weights?}
4) Bake at 425 F for 15-18 minutes.

Filling:

1) Combine dry ingredients in a double boiler. {or if you don't have one, like us... put a glass/ceramic mixing bowl on top of a boiling pot of water}. Add milk slowly, mixing well. 
2) Cook over rapidly boiling water until well thickened {a while, be patient} stirring constantly.
3) Cook 10 minutes longer after thickening, occasionally stirring.
4) Stir a little bit of the mixture in the double boiler into the lightly beaten eggs. Then put egg mixture into double boiler mixture. BEAT VIGOROUSLY! :) 
5) Cook for 1 more minute.
6) Remove from heat and mix in butter and vanilla.
7) Let cool! {on the counter, then once the bowl is less hot put it in the fridge to chill}
8) Peel and slice the bananas into the bottom of the pie shell {or 1/2 in the bottom and layer with filling}. Cover immediately with cooled filling. Layer {if you chose to} and/or top with whipped cream/coolwhip. 

Enjoy! :)


Note: I would let it all chill in the fridge again for a little while to let it become a little more cohesive. You can also top with fruit or banana slices, which I tried to do... haha but ran out of banana :) :)

What is your favorite pie recipe?

All for now,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO