Saturday, January 22, 2011

National Pie Day January 23rd 2011!!

I love pie. Its delicious. Its pretty. Its fun to make. I love it. All different flavors and fillings, different crusts and designs. I love pie!




Apple Dried Cranberry Pie. {Recipe link Below!}

At some recent point in my life I decided that I wanted to learn how to make pies from scratch. Not sure why but I think it was something having to do with preserving the past and learning how to do things that people forget to care about. Pie making is work! Fun work for me, but most people will opt for the store bought crusts and fillings, or a frozen or pre-made pie. I'll tell you what, its not the same! Its also extremely rewarding to make an entire pie yourself!

Here I will share pictures and recipes of my 2 favorite pies to make!

But first! The basic double crust recipe!
Double Crust Pie Pastry

(makes crust for one double crust pie, or crusts for 2 single crust pies (with crumble toppings or something))

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
5 T of cold butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
5-7 T of ice water 

1) Combine flour and salt in a large bowl, cut in butter, using pastry blender, two knives or forks. (I like to use forks best). Cut in until crumbs are no larger than peas. Cut in shortening as you did the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2) Add ice water 1 T at a time, mixing with a fork until the dough holds together but is not sticky. 
3)Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Shape each part into a round disk about an inch thick. Refrigerate in plastic bags or plastic wrap for at least 2 hours before using. 
4) When ready to use roll disk out thinner until it covers the bottom and sides of the pie pan. 

Heart's Desire Cherry Pie
{borrowed from Ladies Love to Dish}
{Kyle's Favorite :)}


I forgot the cornstarch in this one (OOPS!) It was delicious but too watery. :)

8-10 servings 

Double Crust Pie Pastry

Filling:

4 cups of frozen pitted tart cherries (thawed and drained)
1/2 cup dried cherries 
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1-2 T of cornstarch (IMPORTANT!)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 T butter cut into pieces
milk (for brushing on top layer of crust)

1) Roll half the double crust pie pastry on floured surface into a circle 1 inch larger than inverted 9 inch pie pan. Ease pastry into pan and flute edge. Roll remaining pastry into scant 1/4 thickness; cut into hearts (or any shape) using cookie cutters. Refrigerate pastry and hearts while preparing filling.
2) Mix cherries and dried cherries in large bowl; sprinkle with combined sugar, flour, cornstarch, nutmeg and salt; toss. Spoon fruit into pastry; dot with butter.
3) Brush edge of pie pastry with milk. Arrange hearts on top of pie; brush lightly with milk. Lightly sprinkle with sugar. 
4) Bake at 375 degrees for until crust is browned and juices are bubbling, about 1 1/4 hours. Cover the top and sides with aluminum foil if they are getting too brown. Cool on wire rack. 

Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream. 


For Kyle's Birthday Last Year I made him this shark pie. :) {and I didn't forget the cornstarch!}
This pie is absolutely delicious and I don't usually favor cherry pies. I tend to make this for Valentine's Day, Kyle's Birthday or our anniversary, who knows I may even make it tomorrow! 

ENJOY! 

Apple Dried Cranberry Pie
{My Favorite Fall Pie}


Find this recipe here.

*Crumble Crust*
If you opted to do a crumble crust topping, cut the pie pastry recipe in half. To make the crumble topping I like to mix equal parts of oats and brown sugar, add some cane sugar and then cut in some butter. Then I sprinkle it on top and bake as the recipe above says :) {this was a big hit this thanksgiving}


Clearly it was a hit because this is all that was left! :)

I love to make this pie during Thanksgiving and for any other fall occasion. But it is good at any time of year :) It is delicious and not over-baringly sweet. The leftovers make good breakfast as well!

Enjoy! 

I hope this inspires you to celebrate National Pie Day tomorrow in a much more rewarding way that stopping by Perkins! :)

What are your favorite pie recipes?

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO