Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Roaring, Swinging, Fabulous, Groovy Blog Collaboration // 1950's

It's one of my favorite days! Audrey & I's Roaring, Swinging, Fabulous, Groovy Blog Collaboration! :) I was a mood-reader (again) this month, so I didn't get to any new titles. Boo. But oh well!

Today, Audrey and I are talking about the 1950's. MAKE SURE TO HOP ON OVER TO AUDREY'S BLOG TO CHECK OUT HER RECOMMENDATIONS! :) 



Here we go:

On the first Tuesday of the month, February through November, we're highlighting books & films from/about specific eras that we recommend! (Television shows, too, sometimes!) There's no commitment or link-up during those months on your end, but in December we’ll host a recap/link-up for the entire year!

I'm learning a lot from this challenge already: 

Books, Films, and Bonus will be things that I HAVE read or watched. "On Deck": will be things that I am hoping to get to soon!



The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - I read this last year, and really enjoyed it.
Fahrenheit 451 - just read this... takes place sort of in the 1950's. Didn't really like it. Read about that next week for SUYB.
101 Dalmations - one of my very favorite books! 





Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights - No shame, I like this more than the original. It's more interesting to me... sorry... I said it! LOL
Great Balls of Fire - A movie about Jerry Lee Lewis, who marries his 13 year old cousin. Controversy! I did enjoy the sets though, it felt so 1950s! The scene where Winona Ryder goes shopping for their house is my favorite!
Edward Scissorhands - one of my all-time favorites.
Julie and Julia - Meryl Streep forever. :) This movie is so delightful!
Grease - my little sister, Olivia's favorite.
Snow Falling on Cedars - I saw this a very very long time ago.



Call the Midwife (BBC) - This is my go-to Netflix show. It follows the midwives in London's East End. The show starts in the 1950s, and is still coming out on BBC. I think it is in the mid to late 1960's now. I have a little catching up to do.. but I think I've seen about 5 seasons. This show while very real and emotional... is very heartwarming for me. It's still good for my mental diet! Babies, nuns, people rising above it. A gem you guys, watch this. But be ready to sob.



I would also like to remind everyone of the fabulously silly episode of Gilmore Girls, "That Damn Donna Ried". Rory in all of her temporary housewife glory. Plus Apricot the kitten.









Walk the Line (movie)
Ray (movie)
My Week with Marilyn (movie)
Wonder Wheel (movie) - this looks sooo good!
Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepeyts (book) - great author, set in NOLA, must read.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (tv show)

What books, movies, or shows can you recommend that take place in the 1940's? Is there a goodreads equivalent for movies?!

Be sure to hope over to Audrey’s blog and check out her recommendations!

The 1960s was a time of revolution and political unrest. From the rise of the Vietnam war to the death of President John F. Kennedy to the birth or hippies, the 60s were quite the time to be alive! Join us next month for our entertainment recommendations from the era!

Enjoying this series? Check out the other posts:
1900s & 1910s
1920s
1930s
1940s

We are headed out on our cruise today!! So I'll be MIA for a little while, excited to catch up with y'all when we get back! Enjoy your week, friends! :) 


XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO