Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Favorite Books of 2017 // Bookworm

Another year of reading, and another year of being thankful for the blogging community and what it has done for my reading. I won't share the whole long story, but basically the Literary Ladies Book Challenge got me back into reading a few years ago, and it has been tremendously great for my self-care. Thank you again, ladies. Goodreads, SUYB, etc. has definitely left me feeling super connected to bloggy book friends! Hooray! :)

Quick note: I surpassed my yearly goal this year, by reading 56/50 books. Yahoo! Record best for me! :)

On to the books!

2017 was a year with a lot of books read, but not very many that I LOVED. (unlike last year....) All that being said, I did enjoy these quite a lot. So here were the best of the best from my list!


Soulless - made me laugh out loud, and react actively to all sorts of things going on. If you enjoy humor, romance, and wouldn't mind the steam punk element (it wasn't incredibly distracting), I highly recommend! (PS - I hadn't ever read steam punk... so do with that info what you will!)


Saga Vol. I - OMG. I LOVE THIS GRAPHIC NOVEL SO MUCH. And I don't really read graphic novels though now I will be reading more! :) This is Romeo & Juliet but in a very intergalactic, explicit, over the top sort of way. I can't describe this well to you. I can only tell you to spend about 2 hours reading it and see for yourself. For those with access to Hoopla, my library had this on Hoopla. :)


Outlander - le gush. Just. Yes.


To All The Boys I've Loved Before (series) - The cutest darn YA trilogy you ever did read. Didn't LOVE the last one...but overall the story is adorable. I've never related more to a main character than I do to Lara Jean. The family aspect of this was lovely.


Little Book of Hygge - delightful, light, interesting non-fiction. The concept of hygge is fascinating, and this is a good intro.



ACoTaR Series - I know. I know. I gushed and gushed. Here's what you need to know. These aren't perfect. She gets criticized for all sorts of things in her writing, but I love these books. The second thing to know, the first book should actually be called "the longest prequel ever" because book two is where it's at. I've never had such a book hangover. (not exaggerating) I now own the coloring book. I might have a secret pinboard of fan art. Judge away. I am trash for this series.


East - like a fairy tale, but not for little little kids. More adventure than romance or magic. Think LOTR, or Pirates... or something. I loved this. Really. really appreciated the amount of research the author did on topics within her book. I've never learned so much while reading a YA novel.


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - I know so many who loved this book, and I really did too. I think that being written in letters makes it a wee bit less descriptive/less immersed in the scenes, but not enough not to like it. If that even makes sense...? Just really nice historical fiction. It wasn't TOO sad, but it wasn't TOO happy either. Nice mix.

What were your favorite books this year?!

Have you read any of these?

Did you make your reading goal for the year?!

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO