Friday, January 24, 2014

Top 5 Places I Want to Visit in Canada // 2014


You may have seen my earlier post about my current top 5 U.S. destinations I would like to visit! So fun to daydream about travel!

Since then... I have started thinking about what places would make my international 'Top 5's' ... And my brain took off on a crazy wanderlust-fueled frenzy around the globe... and before I knew it, I had five places in Canada alone that I wanted to write about and learn about. So here you have it. My current Canadian top five, in no particular order.

Prince Edward Island (PEI)


Swooooon... back to the Maritimes, what a dream! PEI is smallest Canadian province, and the last piece of the Maritimes that we haven't been to. It is filled with beautiful coastlines, country fields and a friendly island state of mind. 



The scenery varies dramatically from sandy beach, to farmland to rocky shores. The province is also home to impressive architecture and history, and is the 'home' of Anne of Green Gables. 



Plus PEI mussels are known around the world for being the very best! I can't think of a good reason NOT to put this on my list!

Vancouver, British Columbia


In my mind, Vancouver is like Seattle's cooler older sibling. The mountains meet the Pacific ocean and tucked right in between is a bustling diverse city... 


Vancouver contains beautiful green space and is so close to escaping the city all together for outdoor recreation. The city is full of incredible history and culture not to mention the rumored best Chinese food in North America! -something I plan to investigate..  

Victoria, British Columbia -Check! October 2014


So I suppose if Vancouver is Seattle's older cooler sibling, Victoria is the super cultured, full of adventure young aunt. This city boasts some of the most beautiful gardens in the world and authentic high teas reminiscent of those in Europe.


The gardens range from Victorian to Japanese and everywhere in between. Beyond these cultural draws is a city that possesses a much smaller, more European feel than Vancouver, though not lacking the incredible water front views.

Lake Louise, Alberta


Called 'Canada's Diamond of the Wilderness' this gorgeous lake is part of Banff National Park in Southern part of the province. This area is a hot bed for winter sports of all kinds, and is wonderful for hiking at all times of year. This is certainly one of those laid back, enjoy the nature kind of places. There is definitely a time for that! I think if we went someday, we would be going in the summer. But you never know. The Canadian Rockies and glacial lakes are definitely on my must-see list! 

Newfoundland & Labrador


The newest Canadian province ranges from the Maritime like beauty of PEI to the breathtaking wild mountains in the North. It contains a unique culture that ranges from Scottish immigrants to indigenous Mi'kmaq people, and then of course the French and English.


I have heard from Toronto residents that Newfoundland is full of the friendliest people you'll meet in Canada. I'm not sure if it's true but I am oh, so willing to find out. Preferably in June, when it's prime whale watching season!

What Canadian destinations are on your must-see list?

Have you ever been to any of these places? I would love to hear your tips and recommendations in the comments! :)

Read about my Canadian travels in the links below! :) 

Snapshots of Quebec City (honeymoon!)
Snapshots of Saint John, New Brunswick
Snapshots of Halifax & Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia

Thank You for Reading!

Alexandra 

All Canada photos in this post are pulled from my Pinterest Travel Board and are the work of talented photographers and travellers, they are not my own. :) 

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I am originally from Canada and can attest to it's beauty. Banff and Kananaskis are an all time favorite, lots of good memories there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! We have been to Canada on 3 different occasions and to 4 different provinces and have loved it all! What a dream to grow up there! :) -Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! Vancouver is my favourite City in the world and I also love Victoria, Lake Louise and PEI. I spent 4 1/2 months travelling through Canada last summer so for more info visit my blog http://theworldonmynecklace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is so awesome! I have loved every trip and location we have visited in Canada! :) I will definitely check out your blog! When we start planning our next trip to one of these locations I'm sure it will come in handy! Thank you for reading! -Alexandra

      Delete

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO