Wednesday, January 22, 2014

National Pie Day 2014! // Ideas & Recipes


National Pie Day is a big deal for us.... yet it ALWAYS sneaks up on me... : / but... tomorrow January 23rd is the day! 

In honor of the day, and really in honor of pie, I make a pie on the 23rd every year. This will be my 4th year!

So far, since I am still a fairly new cook.. I have been trying to test out new recipes every year. This year is no different, but I won't be giving away my recipe just yet! :)


Instead, I thought I would leave you a mouth-watering pie post, with links to recipes that I have tried in the past! I hope that you will feel inspired to make your own pie tomorrow, or really anytime this week, because pie makes people happy. Make a pie and share it with those you love!


Individual sized chocolate pies with meringues. The meringues turned out perfectly, and win/lose we weren't stuck with 3/4 a pie to eat all by ourselves... :) 




 This recipe also made my top 12 of 2012 recipes! So it is very good in my opinion! :) Kyle had never had a cream pie before, but he loved it! This recipe really wasn't too hard but was definitely worth any and all effort put into it! Crust recipe and directions also included in the post!


A nice cherry pie. It uses both frozen and dried cherries so it has a mix of sweet and tart, which is nice for those of us who aren't always the biggest fan of tartness. This is Kyle's favorite. Crust recipe and directions also included in the post!


This pie is so delicious. I always make it for either Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it doesn't have to be seasonal. It uses dried cranberries so it can really be made whenever you want it! Because the cranberries are dried they are much sweeter than fresh ones. So if made with mild or sweet apples it is actually quite sweet! If you like tart go for a green apple, like Granny Smith and you will have a sweet/tart combo! It is also great with a crumble crust, recipe also at the above link. Crust recipe and directions also included in the post!


This pie was not my favorite, but Kyle and his parents loved it! If you like blueberry pie, you will probably like this pie. It was very easy! What I love most about it are the colors! :)


While for some this pie is seasonal, there really isn't any reason it needs to be. It is yummy all year round. I just used the recipe on the can of pumpkin. 

Need a basic crust recipe? This one never fails me and can be cut in half for single-crust pies! :) Double Crust Pie Pastry

Whatever your plans for the 23rd, the rest of the week or the weekend; i hope you are able to fit in a nice homemade pie and time with your loved ones! :) 

What are you planning to bake?

What is your favorite type of pie?

Thank You for Reading!

Alexandra 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO