Monday, November 9, 2015

October Reads // #allthevampires

I get into reading ruts. Significant ones, like weeks where I don't read anything because I just can't decide. There are too many good options. And I hate to start a book and not finish, but often have trouble motivating myself through a dull book or dull patch in a book. Though once I "make myself do it" I usually fall in love with a book, or move on to something different.

This fall has been full of these ruts, so I didn't read much in October (comparatively to July-September) .... but I still read! :)


I basically binge-read the first half(ish) of the Blue Bloods Series by Melissa de la Cruz. I didn't really know anything about the series, but I picked up a copies of some of the series at the local Library Book Sale. I recognized the author as the creator of The Witches of East End, which I have not read yet, but I love the TV series (sobs).

To get a good idea of the plot of the series ... I would mix Twilight with Gossip Girl, and then sprinkle in a bit of The Mortal Instruments. In other words... it's a pretty typical vampire YA fiction, mixed with some of the layered lore of The Mortal Instruments, and the upper class rich kid stuff of Gossip Girl. However, that's just the surface of the plot. There are a lot of things going on here that are a-typical, things I haven't read about before as part of the lore behind vampires. So, it's certainly not run-of-the-mill and boring.

Far from it, I've definitely held my breath, cried, blushed, gasped...you name it, just reading the first 4 books....

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

Schuyler Van Alen is the outcast at her upper east side prep school. She spends all of her time with her best friend Oliver. That is, until she catches the attention of Jack Force, her long time crush, also the most popular guy at school. His twin sister Mimi, is not pleased with this. Bliss, a Texas transplant in the city, is in the group, but doesn't feel understood. When one of the most popular girls at school turns up dead, and the characters start noticing weird changes in themselves, it's only Schuyler and Bliss who don't know what is going on. It turns out, that all of these popular kids, and Schuyler herself receive invitations to join a prestigious and exclusive society. The society of Blue Bloods, very old vampires, and also the oldest, wealthiest families in the city. Oliver is left out, as he is human.

That is a lot of basic plot kind of text... but you can also expect: new lore on vampires (fallen angels), travel to exotic locations, love triangles/squares?, and tons of page turning mystery surrounding the murder at the school.

I tore through this one and consequently the second installment.

While I'm not into the Gossip Girl part enough to read Gossip Girl... the mix of that with supernatural, and things outside of the upper east side made it bearable and an interesting read for me.

Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz

In the second installment of the series, Schuyler and Oliver head to Florence to search for her grandfather as well as answers. Schuyler and Jack continue to wonder what the committee members are hiding about the murders of young Blue Bloods. All the while Mimi is planning the prestigious Four Hundred Ball, and an even more exciting and exclusive after party, a masquerade ball. They get closer to solving the mystery of the deaths, and the silver bloods.

This one was just as good as the first! I loved it.

Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz

Things get a little more political in the third installment of the series. There is a new leader in the coven, tensions are high, and a sacred place in Brazil is threatened. Bliss is losing track of time, blacking out, feeling crazy... a big mystery here... When everyone ends up in Brazil, disaster and confusion strike.

Loved this one less (the least so far), but it was crucial to understanding the society, and figuring out what is going on within the coven. It was still good though! :) Though the book was less exciting overall, it still kept a steady pace, so I was able to read it pretty quickly!

The Van Alen Legacy by Melissa de la Cruz

This book picks up immediately after book three. Schuyler and Oliver are on the run across the globe. Seeking asylum among the European coven of Blue Bloods. Meanwhile (oddly my favorite part!) Mimi is working as a truth seeker in Brazil searching for answers. Bliss is struggling to retain control of her body, and to figure out a way to keep it.

I won't lie, the beginning of this one was DULL (for me) aside from Mimi's plot. I just wasn't into the rest of it. But once the plot picks up, and everyone is in New York... it's pretty crazy and awesome! Seriously, all the way up to the end I was holding my breath!

Overall:

The series is overall fun, easy to read, and a different take on vampire lore and conflict. It's not too love triangle-y. The twin thing kind of keeps that at bay (you'll know what I mean if you read it!).

Apparently de la Cruz writes at all levels... these are YA, Witches is Adult Fiction, and she writes for preteens/kids too. I am excited to look into more of her YA/Adult books in the future... after I finish this series.

Currently Reading:


I took some reading rut breaks... but I am currently reading book 4.5 of the series, Keys to the Repository. It is kind of a supplemental book, it contains background on the lore, characters, missing pieces of the story, as well as short chapters that happen during the first four books. Now that I am in the short chapters, I am pretty sure I will finish it quickly! I'm excited to keep going and afterwords finish the last 4 books. :) - I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Also, getting ready to finalize my Semi Charmed Winter 2015 Book Challenge list. ;) Stay Tuned!

What have you been reading?

Anyone else read this series?!

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO