Wednesday, July 19, 2017

2017 Goal Update // Halfway Through!

Wow, we are over half way through 2017. That's crazypants!




I thought I should do a quick recap of my goals, progress made, and strategies for the months ahead. Thanks for the reminder Torrie! :) Updates are in bold. :) 

Reflections & Goal Planning/Explanation: 

I did some reflecting on 2016 and a lot of what I realized about my anxiety is that it often stems from a lack of space. Whether that is physical space, mental space, or a sense of freedom. So a lot of my goals are centered around those ideas. :) This may seem like a giant list, but a lot of it is written to accommodate specific ideas, and *trying* things... even if I don't end up implementing them longer-term. Some of them are also things that I am currently doing, that I want to continue with. I've been thinking hard about all of my goals and issues I want to work on, and what those big and small moving pieces are. So, I am choosing the word "space" this year for obvious reasons. I don't usually pick a word, but I think it will really help me focus this year! :)

Health 

Work out 3x's per normal week (at least)
Put Healthy Meals on Rotation
Try 25 New Healthy Recipes (add them to rotation if we like them enough!)
Get new mattress = sleep better
Continue to take stairs and walks at work
Try out at least one active hobby (ideas: SUP, kayaking, boxing, etc.)
Get dental work done - not sure I can finish this year, just financially... but making really good progress on this!
Visit a dermatologist
Attempt grazing - I'm the WORST snacker...
Focus on healthy breakfasts & caffeine sources

Stress

Limit & be intentional with plans that we make - doing well with this so far!
Do one de-stressing activity per day (yoga, coloring, reading, meditating, etc.)
De-clutter (physical clutter = mental clutter)
     -sort through boxes and tubs in storage at KC's parent's house - ALREADY STARTED!
     -coat closet
     -wall hanging items
     -kitchen cabinets/kitchen craziness...
     -under bathroom sink
     -bathroom linen closet
     -jewelry box
     -vanity!!
     -boxes of un-homed junk...
     -things I hide in the closet....
     -filing paperwork....
Reduce amount of technology that I have to deal with
     -limit notifications
     -unsubscribe from email lists
     -delete drobox from laptop...
     -have "un-reachable" times?
     -etc.
Check long-standing items off my to-be-done list. I love Gretchen Rubin's 1 hour per week idea!
     -being healthy (folded in above)
     -dentist (same) - doing really well so far!
     -DSLR skills -re-thinking this... my phone has a better camera than my current DSLR.
     -sewing skills
     -reading classics - 2 so far!
Make a point to listen to music!
Purchase an essential oil diffuser
Look into getting a weighted blanket

Brand

Populate my Etsy with invite templates
Do a bridal show (maybe)
Make Flyers and put up around town #oldschool
Re-brand blog
Continue/improve with Youtube - getting better! Need to work on lighting and sound...
Scheduling items (see scheduling section below)
Learn more about what y'all like reading about in this space!

Creative

Take a cooking class
Pick up (try) either: sewing, knitting, crochet, embroidery... something NON-paper! - working on it, but have not "picked one up".
Do a 2017 PL/scrapbook album (monthly highlights, as the year goes on) - keep sharing the progress! - working on it! Check out my Youtube to see! :) 
Attend more non-concert live performances - 2 so far!
Do some type of photo challenge (even a short one)
Apply to be on 2018 creative teams with documenting brands! - 1 so far, and I did not get it.
Take a DSLR course - re-thinking this...
Food in Jars challenge with Rachel (flexibly!) - 2 so far.
Make a new dessert - pavlova
Get a better/more versatile printer for documenting

Scheduling

Set up a rough guideline for using my Tuesdays well (or a rigid schedule)
Make a social media posting schedule (because I forget and it stresses me out!) - working on this for IG, and it's going well so far!
Make a cleaning schedule
Try some meal-prepping schedules - find something that works pretty well

Cozy Family - inspired by the ideas of hygge and minimalism

Learn about Hygge and apply some ideas from it to our day-to-day life
Create more traditions with KC as our own little family (seasonal, holiday, weekend, little things, etc.)
Make a point to enjoy and experience each season
Be at home more - so far, doing well, much better nearly every month!
Take our time and be slow

Books

Read 50 total books - 29 so far!
Read at least one book from each category:
     -biography/memoir
     -poetry
     -graphic novel
     -horror
     -science fiction
     -thriller
     -mystery
     -historical fiction
     -short story
     -essay
Complete a reading challenge - it's looking good for Erin's 7.0
Read 5 Non-fiction books, not including cookbooks/craft books that are just skimmed
Read 5 Classics - 2 so far!
Continue with book ban - I've only sold a few so far, but I've read a lot that I own (including Netgalley!)! Definitely more of each than this time last year! :)

Travel

Go back to NOLA
Plan out NYC!
Visit at least two other new places (even if they are close-by)
Travel with friends
Try a new food


Entertaining

Find a dress for SIL's wedding
Plan bachelorette/shower night for Juliet

Continue having game nights - 2 so far!
Epic KC bday week
Have a "Galantine's Party"! - I MISS THIS EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. 
Give 6 little gifts - 2 so far!
Spoil the heck outta Jess's baby - yes, so far! :P
Swap GG nights for Movie nights with close friends - this isn't probably going to happen
Generally plan more things with my girlfriends (because they're pretty amazing)

Bottom Line: I think I am doing pretty well with my goals so far. All of my reading ones are more or less on track, travel is nearly done, and I have a lot of things that have been started. Some of the ones related to stress/organizing may have to change.... I didn't plan on us moving when I made the list... and now our living/storage situation is quite different! Pleased with the dental progress I've made, but not sure if I will be able to finish it this year. It gets so expensive. I think we've been doing ok at seasonal things, but summer is really tough because it's just too hot for me, and KC doesn't like it much either.  We did pretty well at seasonal things for St. Patrick's Day and springtime. :) Hoping for more hygge/cozy/traditions this fall and winter. It's about time that we buckle down budget-wise, so that should mean being home more and also cooking more. We've not been cooking anything new, if at all, for most of the year. Hoping to improve on health, cooking, and organizational goals before the end of the year! :) 

How are you doing on your 2017 goals so far? 

Are you slacking on any? What are your plans to make them a priority?

Have to checked any off? What are you most proud of so far?

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO