Tuesday, December 4, 2018

The Roaring Swinging Groovy Fabulous Wrap Up!

Whew, it is DECEMBER! That means that Audrey and I are here to recap our year of #RSFGBlogCollab - this is still a mouthful. hehe



We could not decide how we wanted to format this post, but we ended up thinking we'd do a section on "best of the best" aka essential reading/watching, "Through the Ages" aka other period dramas we love, and "On Deck" - stuff we are *still* dying to read or watch! (or maybe even more-so after all of this talk.

Here we go, on to my lists -- make sure to check out Audrey's here! - Make sure to link up with us if you want to share your favorite period dramas!

Best of The Best 

To Read:
Anne of Green Gables (190os) - Check out my post about Anne, here.
The Tumbling Turner Sisters (1910s) - vaudeville, so fun!
The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty (1920s) - Check out my thoughts on this one for SUYB next week! Spoiler: I loooved it! - I think this is being made into a movie!!
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schafer (1940s) - loved this!
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (1960s) (one of my all-time favorite books)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (1960s)
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1990s) - pure genius!

To Watch:

When Calls the Heart (1910s) - TV - I love mounty Jack. *swoon* (1910s)
Sweet Land (1910s) (movie) - cute!
Florence Foster Jenkins (1940s) - SO FUNNY and heartbreaking
**Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - TV - THE BEST SHOW EVER, GO WATCH IT! - movie just wrapped filming! Squee!)
Anastasia - all time favorite (obviously) (1910s-1920s)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - I adore this movie! (1920s)
Paper Moon (1930s)- 5 Stars! - Possible father/daughter con team sell bibles in Kansas. A
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (movie) (1940s) - this movie exceeded my expectations and was SO gorgeous!
Call the Midwife (BBC) (1950s-1960s) - This is my go-to Netflix show. It follows the midwives in London's East End. The show starts in the 1950s, and is still coming out on BBC. I think it is in the mid to late 1960's now. I have a little catching up to do.. but I think I've seen about 5 seasons. This show while very real and emotional... is very heartwarming for me. It's still good for my mental diet! Babies, nuns, people rising above it. A gem you guys, watch this. But be ready to sob.
Stranger Things (1980s) - I fought watching this so hard. I don't like the 1980's, I don't love sci-fi. I did love this show. A lot. It's very very well done and it didn't matter at all that it wasn't right up my alley. :) Who is your favorite character?! Mine is Lucas. :) 
Gilmore Girls (TV) (2000s) - forever, but I'll always be grumpy over that reboot.
The Holiday (2000s) - my favorite Christmas movie
Bridget Jones's Diary (2000s) - essential watching

Other:

**Anastasia Broadway (1910s - 1920s) - Musical - AMAZZZZINNNNG! 
 - CURRENTLY TOURING THE US! GET YOUR TICKETS! We are going in March!!

Through The Ages - Other Period Dramas I Love

Tristan and Isolde (1200s..?)
Little Women (Civil War) I like both the 1994 + 2017 PBS versions.
Jane Eyre - Favorite book of ALL TIME!
Love And Friendship - a hilarious Austen movie!
Pride and Prejudice (book and movie)
Persuasion (book and movie)
The Bear and the Nightingale (book series) - Medieval
Outlander (book and TV series) - 1700s + other times
Edenbrooke (book) - Regency
The Queen's Lady (Thornleigh Saga, book series) - Tudor
A Holiday By Gaslight (book) - Victorian

Still On Deck

The Romanov Sisters: The Lost lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra (1900s)(Book)
Joyeux Noel (1900s) (movie)
Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham (1920s) (book)
Downton Abbey (1920s) - TV - I know it's shameful... but I haven't finished this!
Upstairs, Downstairs (1930s) - BBC Miniseries
Dust Bowl Girls: The Inspiring Story of the Team that Barnstormed Its way to Basketball Glory by Lydia Reeder (1930s)
A United Kingdom (movie) (1940s)
Land Girls (BBC Show) (1940s)
The Bronze Horseman (book) (1940s) 
Wonder Wheel (movie) (1950s)- this looks sooo good!
Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepeyts (book) (1940s) - great author, set in NOLA, must read.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (tv show) (1940s)
The Astronaut Wives' Club (TV Show) (1960s) - I've heard that the show is a lot better than the book, I'll keep you posted!
The Help (movie) (1960s)
Friends (1990s/2000s) (TV) - yes I have seen some/a lot, but not all. Someday! :)

Whew, so there you have it! The best of the best from this year and some bonus items! 

What about you?! Feel free to linkup with us below!!

I NEED TO WATCH THREE MORE PERIOD DRAMAS BEFORE 2019! SEND ME YOUR RECS!!!!!!!!!!!

LINKUP!

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO