Thursday, August 23, 2018

Guernsey & Lara Jean

TODAY WE ARE FINALLY GETTING OUR FLOORS PUT IN AFTER THREE MONTHS OF IMPATIENCE! We are SO SO SO excited to get it finished up and move in this weekend, finally! :)

It's been a good month for book-to-movie adaptations. While these are not the only two that have come out (I'm looking at you, Crazy Rich Asians!), they were highly anticipated for me!


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - Now on Netflix

Plot: Juliet, a London journalist takes up correspondence with Dawsey, a citizen of Guernsey (an island off England's coast) after WWII. Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during the war, and Dawsey tells of his and his friend's book club that kept their spirits up during the war. As Juliet learns more about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society she makes the trip to Guernsey to write meet and write about this extraordinary group of people.

My Thoughts: I absolutely adored this adaptation of Guernsey. It was so atmospheric and everything about it really swept you up into the story. I thought that Lily James did a wonderful job, as did the rest of the star-studded cast. I thought that the film version might be harder to watch than the book was to read, but I thought that they handled the sad parts very well. (and they left out one part that made me particularly sad, so yay!) One of my favorite things about the story is it's focus on resilience, it translated well into the movie version.



To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - Now on Netflix

Plot: Lara Jean writes a letter to her crush when she's ending it. She keeps them hidden in a box, but one day the letters get sent. Now, all of the boys she's loved before are coming out of the wood work. Including her sister's newly ex-boyfriend, Josh. In order to keep Josh from finding out her true feelings, she starts a fake relationship with someone else who received a letter, Peter K.

My Thoughts: This is my favorite contemporary YA series, I adore everything about it. I was a little nervous about the film adaptation, but thought it was very well handled. For one thing, I loved seeing a POC as the main character, in a movie! I loved Jenny Han's article on the topic as well. One of my favorite things about the stories is the family relationships between Lara Jean, her sisters, and their father. The movie did such a good job capturing those familial ties and sibling quirks. All of the teen swooniness and cringe-worthy moments were intact as well. I *heart* Peter K. I cannot wait for the next movies! I hope to goodness that they make them! :)

Have you seen or read either of these?! If so, what did you think?

Have you seen or read Crazy Rich Asians yet?!

What's your favorite book-to-movie adaptation?

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO