Saturday, February 9, 2019

Favorite (Non-Classic) Romances // Romance Month

Last year I started reading romance novels, and really loved them. As a reader in general I always appreciate a bit of romance in any book! If you are considering reading a romance novel this year, or just looking for a new book to pick up this month, this list is for you!



A note on classics: Before we get too far... let's go ahead and say that classics are not on this list, because they should have their own list! Jane Eyre and Austen, etc. etc. aren't really something that can be compared to contemporary romantic fiction. :)

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Gender Swapped Pretty Woman
My Rating: 5 Stars - OH MY GOD READ THIS!
Steam Rating: 5 Flames - Proceed with caution, R+ rated.

The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely*

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Family Reunion + Super Hot Boyfriend for Hire.
My Rating: 4.5 Stars - I highly recommend if you enjoy contemporary romance and the fake-to-real dating trope.
Steam Rating: 5 Flames - Proceed with caution, R+ rated.

Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren*

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: College acquaintances meet years later and try to be friends. Many disastrous double dates ensue.
My Rating: 5 Stars - I highly recommend if you enjoy contemporary romance, quirky characters, and lot of heart. 
Steam Rating: 5 Flames - Proceed with caution, R+ rated.

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast (and the rest of the Steampunk Proper Romance Series) by Nancy Campbell Allen

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Beauty & the Beast meets steampunk Victorian England. 
My Rating: 4.5 Stars - I highly recommend if you enjoy fantasy, steampunk and/or proper romance novels. This one is for fans of Edenbrooke (proper romance) and Changeless (steampunk setting).
Steam Rating: 1-2 Flames - The steam is in the banter and longing glances.

A Holiday by Gaslight by Mimi Matthews*

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Man courts woman. Man never talks. Woman calls off courtship. They spend Christmas together, along with others, and find that they might like each other after all.
My Rating: 5 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy Christmas fiction and/or proper romance.
Steam Rating: 1-2 Flames - The steam is in the banter and longing glances.

Pestilence by Laura Thalassa

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Horseman of the apocalypse comes to Earth, woman tries to kill him. He takes her prisoner.
My Rating: 4 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy paranormal romance. Major emphasis on ROMANCE.
Steam Rating: The Steam Meter is BROKEN - PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

The Beau and the Belle by R.S. Grey

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Teenage girl falls in love with law student, but the age gap is too big. Ten years later they meet again. (IN NOLA!)
My Rating: 4 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy romance novels, "the one that got away" trope, and New Orleans.
Steam Rating: 4 Flames - Somewhere in the middle.

Head Over Heels by Serena Bell*

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Single dad goes on blind date with girl who is his opposite in every way, they become best friends. Years later she needs a place to stay and he needs someone to watch his daughter.
My Rating: 4.5 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy contemporary romance, especially ones that follow the "friends to lovers" trope, or include a single parent.
Steam Rating: 4-5 Flames - Somewhere in the middle, but steamier than The Beau and the Belle.

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Woman desperate to escape suitor flees to the country to visit her sister who happens to be staying with the very flirtatious (and available) Phillip Wyndham.
My Rating: 5 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy proper romance, lots of banter, and moments that are too cute to handle.
Steam Rating: 1-2 Flames - The steam is in the banter and longing glances.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - entire series!

Quick (& Dirty) Plot Run Down: Girl writes letters to a crush when she moves on, one day they all get sent. The letters were never meant to be sent.
My Rating: 4 Stars - I recommend if you are looking for a cute YA read. The characters in this are complex and well written. I enjoyed the family relationship between the sisters (so Little Women!) and their dad. I also really enjoyed the perspective of a bi-racial main character, I wish there was more diversity floating around in popular literature.
Steam Rating: 3 Flames - PG-13, teenage love.

There you have it! My top 10 romance novels from proper to steamy!

What are some of your all-time favorites?!

What other proper romances are great?!

Other Romance Month Posts: Diverse Romance Novels.

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO